Communication Skills – Making A Positive First Impression
You have 90 seconds to make a positive first impression by the way that you communicate.
Seven ideas to increase your communication success with a first impression include:
- Dress respectfully. This means be as formally dressed as they might be. It’s always easier to dress down than to dress up; to remove a jacket or roll up your sleeves.
- Get feedback from people you trust on your handshake. Too firm or to lax can easily be corrected.
- Be on time. Allow extra time and anticipate potential delays.
- Start with a smile. Let your warm personality melt any initial resistance.
- Make eye contact and remain focused on their face until you know the colour of their eyes.
- Build rapport by using their name. Be careful not to overuse this practice.
- Use the headline technique; keep your sentences short. You will be asked to elaborate if they are interested in more detail.
Our Toronto based Communication skills training workshop provides the communication skills for performing positively and clearly to enhance your career and personal success. Contact us today to find out how our Toronto based communication skills training and other management skills and leadership courses and workshops can help you build your professionalism.