Networking (Part II)
Learning to mingle and to follow-up with business contacts could be the best thing you can do to promote yourself, your service or your product.
Nine additional ideas to increase your success with networking include:
- When meeting someone, repeat their name to help you remember it.
- Ask questions about what they do; the challenges they face; the changes they are experiencing.
- Be a great listener. Listen more than you speak.
- Spend no more than 5-6 minutes talking with any one person at a networking event.
- Exchange cards. Ask for their card if they don’t offer it.
- Set up a system to manage the details of the people you meet.
- Follow up within 24 hours of the event. Call or write. Try to refer to your conversation and mention something they said. Arrange a meeting or lunch if they have serious potential.
- Send them an article about an interest they expressed.
- Try to build a relationship; recognize that the process takes time and will require multiple contacts as you attempt to build trust.