Business Writing Skills
Get your message across with less effort and greater impact.
Six ideas to increase success include:
1. Before you write, consider your purpose.
• What do you want to accomplish?
• What do you want them to do?
2. State your purpose in the first sentence.
3. Replace business clichés with conversational words.
• along the lines of like
• at which time when
• for the purpose of for
• for the reason that since, because
• in order to, in order that to, so
• in regard to about
• in the event of if
• in the near future soon, shortly
4. Establish an appropriate tone by focusing on the reader. Replace some of your “I’s and we’s“ with “you”.
5. Accentuate the positive by telling what you can do. Always state your ideas in positive terms.
6. Use bullets and numbers to make your writing easier to understand and easier to read.