Leadership – Networking – Tips of the Week (Part I)
Learning to mingle and to follow-up with business contacts could be the best thing you can do to promote yourself, your service or your product.
Eight ideas to increase your success with networking include:
- Identify the type of person you want to meet; i.e. the purchasing officer.
- Identify where you would likely encounter them; i.e. what associations would they belong to? What conferences meetings or trade shows would they attend?
- Create an objective around how many of these types of encounters you will need to attend in a week, month or year.
- Review the list of attendees before an encounter so you can search for the people you want to talk to.
- Be prepared with business cards, a pen, a notebook and a smile.
- Arrive early so you can start networking when the group is small and less intimidating.
- Approach people who are standing by themselves.
- Shake hands. Introduce yourself in 30 seconds or less. Describe the service you provide to your clients in one or two sentences.