Negotiating Skills –
Much of what you do is the result of negotiation.
Four ideas to increase negotiating success include:
- Know “when to fold ‘em” i.e. when to walk away… set specific limits. It’s OK to say, “That’s more than I‘m prepared to do.” or “That’s more than I‘m prepared to spend.”
- Use silence as a technique to gain more information and more power. The other person will fill the silence with information that will be potentially useful to you.
- Think of compromise …the 50/50 split, as your secondary strategy. A collaborative effort where you both uncover common ground and mutual benefits is the best approach and will produce a better outcome for both of you.
- Ask questions like:
- What will it take to close this deal?
- What will it take to resolve this conflict?
- What will it take to earn your trust?
- What will it take to satisfy you?
- What will it take to fix this?
Our Toronto based Negotiating skills training workshop takes the mystery out of negotiating. Focus on understanding five negotiating strategies and counter strategies and developing techniques to handle negotiations.
Contact us today to find out how our Toronto based Negotiating skills training and other management skills and leadership seminars, courses and workshops can help you build your professionalism.