Project Management Skills
Project management is a systematic approach essential to achieving goals with respect to schedules and budgets.
Four ideas to increase success with projects include:
1. Every project needs a sponsor. Do not begin until there is someone who is responsible for:
- Approving the team and defining the responsibilities
- Providing information and resources
- Clarifying critical issues
- Acting as key communication link between departments
2. Every project needs a clear statement of the expected outcomes, the approach, the timelines and the budget. Do not commence any activities related to completing a project until the initial planning process has provided a statement that has the sponsor’s approval.
3. Every project needs a plan. The purpose of the plan is to:
- Outline responsibilities, and duties of the team members
- State how the project will be managed in terms of the time cost and performance
- Summarizes the resources required (human, electronic, external, physical)
4. Projects can benefit from the application of the following tools:
- Project team cooperation checklist
- Planning and organizing checklist
- Responsibility assignment matrix
- Gnatt charts
- Critical Path Mapping
- Contingency planning charts
- Follow up evaluation questions
Our Toronto based project management skills training workshop provides the project management skills for effective project planning and control. Contact us today to find out how our Toronto based project management skills training and other management and communication and leadership skills courses and workshops can help you build your professionalism.