Assertiveness Skills –
Being assertive means looking after your needs by expressing want, feel or believe in a way that’s respectful of others. It’s a communication skill that can reduce conflict, build your self-confidence and improve relationships
Here are six tips to help you learn to be more assertive.
- Listen with empathy. Try to understand the other person’s point of view..
- Agree to disagree periodically. Having a different point of view after discussion is acceptable.
- Stay calm. Relax your face; speak in your normal un-emotional voice.
- Use a problem-solving approach. Work to see the other person as your friend not your enemy. Think win/win
- Use ‘I’ language. Use statements that include ‘I’ e.g. ‘I think’ or ‘I feel’; try to eliminate “You” from your statements.
- Practice patience… work at lengthening your fuse.
Our Toronto based assertiveness skills training workshop provides the assertiveness skills essential to getting your ideas, plans and feelings across with confidence and conviction.
Contact us today to find out how our Toronto based assertiveness skills training and other communications skills courses and workshops can help you build your professionalism