Progress begins with difference. We need to recognize that conflict is inevitable.
Eight ideas to increase your success in dealing with workplace conflict include:
- Allow sufficient time to resolve issues. Do not add undue stress by being in a crunch for decisions.
- Confirm common ground/common goals.
- Focus on the words that are being said, rather than the delivery style, facial expression or the tone of voice.
- Remain unemotional, problem-solving oriented.
- Repeat in your own words, their position to seek confirmation and to demonstrate your understanding. Get their agreement.
- Ask the other person to paraphrase to demonstrate their understanding of your position.
- Work at negotiating differences. Ask “What would it take to…?”
- Isolate points of disagreement and then brainstorm to develop possible alternatives for each point.
Our conflict management training provides strategies and techniques to resolve conflict in everyday situations. Our conflicts resolution in a union environment workshop is specific designed for handling challenging union issues. Each training courses can be delivered at your location or in our location in Toronto.
Contact us today to find out how our training programs and workshops related to communications skills and leadership skills can help you build your professionalism.