Communication Skills – Questioning Effectively – Tips of the Week
- Demonstrate genuine interest and concern
- Generate new ideas
- Facilitate learning
- Build commitment to solutions and plans
Eight ideas to increase your success in asking questions include:
- Create a culture where questions are welcome. Encourage questions and be open when you respond.
- Follow the KISS rule. Keep your questions short and simple. One question at a time; not more that twelve words long.
- Consider the three “R’s”
- right time
- right manner
- right person
- Always start with an open question to encourage others to share. i.e. “Tell me about…?” or How…? or What…?
- Be prepared to record any important details. A short pencil is better that a long memory.
- Frame questions positively. Instead of asking “What went wrong?” ask “What could be done differently?”88,
- Support by asking, “How can I help? ”Learn by ask, “What would you do?” Empower by asking, “What do you think we should do?” Innovate by asking, “What are our competitors going to do?”
- Listen to the answers provided. If the issue is complicated, demonstrate your understanding by paraphrasing the question before you respond.
Our Toronto based communication skills training workshop provides the communication skills for performing positively and clearly to enhance your career and personal success.
Contact us today to find out how our Toronto based communication skills training and other management skills and leadership courses and workshops can help you build your professionalism.