Making A Positive First Impression
You have 90 seconds to make a positive first impression
Seven ideas to increase your success with a first impression include:
- Dress respectfully. This means be as formally dressed as they might be. It’s always easier to dress down than to dress up; to remove a jacket or roll up your sleeves.
- Get feedback from people you trust on your handshake. Too firm or to lax can easily be corrected.
- Be on time. Allow extra time and anticipate potential delays.
- Start with a smile. Let your warm personality melt any initial resistance.
- Make eye contact and remain focused on their face until you know the colour of their eyes.
- Build rapport by using their name. Be careful not to overuse this practice.
- Use the headline technique; keep your sentences short. You will be asked to elaborate if they are interested in more detail.