Resisting change is a natural human response. We need to anticipate this resistance and plan to overcome it.
Six ideas to increase success include:
1. Involve people in the planning process as early as possible. Participation leads to commitment.
2. Explain the change and why it is necessary. Include benefits to the individual(s).
3. Outline how the change will impact on the individual(s). This demonstrates the careful considerations you have made.
4. Ask for their concerns. There are always concerns so give the process time.
5. Ask for their questions. After raising concerns they will be more likely to ask questions.
6. Ask for their support in making the change work, i.e. “Can I count on you to help implement this change?”