Motivating By Giving Up Control
“Giving” in order to “receive” is a strategy to apply in creating a motivational climate. Allowing others to exercise some control creates an environment that builds self worth.
Six ideas to increase your success with motivating by giving up control include:
1. Give choices whenever possible. For example:
• on activities to accomplish a goal
• on the order of actions
• on the deadline
• on the time line
• on the team members
2. Ask open questions as opposed to directive questions… allowing others to suggest the solutions.
3. Demonstrate that you are open-minded…. receptive to new ideas and approaches.
4. Create a need by identifying a benefit to the individual. This helps to develop a sense of personal responsibility
5. Show interest in their progress by following up.
6. Give recognition, support & approval.