Knowing how to disagree diplomatically enables you to say what needs to be said without hesitation.
Seven ideas to increase your success in disagreeing diplomatically include:
- Restate your understanding of the other person’s idea, thought or position, to show them that you understand.
- Keep you tone neutral
- Use positive relaxed body language.
- Look for sign or clues that you’ve captured their views… if they don’t say they agree, are they nodding?
- Restate until you get their agreement.
- Value their position. Say, “I can see the value of…”
- Always follow with “however”… never “but, before introducing your position.
- Discuss your differing opinions, strategies, options or alternate recommendations.
Our Toronto based communication skills training course provides the communication skills for performing positively and clearly to enhance your career and personal success.
We can help you build your professionalism! Contact us today to find out how our Toronto based communication skills training courses and other management skills and leadership seminars and workshops.