Compliments are fertilizer for people. If you complement, people with improve and grow.
Six ideas to increase your success in complimenting others include:
- Be specific. Broad statements like “great job” are not as effective as specific statements like “I appreciate the fact that your reports are always on time.”
- Be real. Compliment when the praise is deserved not just because you are in a good mood.
- Be timely. Make complimenting a priority.
- Be daily. Look for opportunities to make people feel good about themselves each day.
- Be singular. Avoid stringing compliments together.
- Be genuine. Avoid complimenting before making a special request.