From the way that you handle yourself on the telephone, your caller can quickly assess whether you are:
Ten ideas to increase your success with the telephone include:
- Remember it’s 10% what you say and 80% the way you say it that counts on the phone.
- Be prepared to make a written record of all information.
- Be on stage – assume a “professional ” role – unemotional, problem-solving oriented.
- Practice consistency.
- Regularly critique yourself. Try to get feedback from others that you trust.
- Smile as you speak.
- Never show agitation or fatigue; end the call graciously and call back when you are composed.
- Monitor your tone – project energy
- Provide a positive approach by focusing on what you can do.
- Listen to voice mails you leave and eliminate your “ums” or “ahs” by closing your lips at the end of each sentence.