Giving Negative Feedback
Informing someone that they have not met your expectations is challenging because if it is not handled properly in can result in defensiveness or resentment.
Six ideas to increase your success in giving negative feedback include:
- Make sure you deliver your feedback in private.
- Be respectful of the individual; focus on the problem or the situation, not the individual.
- Be timely… as soon as possible is always best.
- Provide facts; avoid judgments.
- Provide all the details and be specific.
- End with a question.